I talked to a friend last night with a 5DII, and he said he had no trouble
getting his mac to read the cards.

I booted up my linux box this morning, plugged the card in, and it "just
worked".

The card is a Super Talent 600x 64GB compact flash
http://www.supertalent.com/products/sd_detail.php?series=CompactFlash%20Cards
http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/5_116.pdf

My card reader on the Mac is an IOGEAR  GUH28R
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUH284R/

I am beginning to suspect the card reader as the problem link.