I found this article rather interesting from several standpoints. It
doesn't compare the two companies in the article. I was just thinking
about it.

Both Subaru and Pentax are Japanese companies.

Both have a minuscule, 2% or so market share.

Subaru is currently extremely successful and profitable despite their
small market share.

We own 2 Subarus at present (including the lovelorn B9 Tribeca, which
despite its critics has been a dependable and comfortable vehicle),
and owned a 3rd, 21 years ago.

As well as having products that fill a niche (a niche that enough
people care about is key), marketing and advertising appears to play a
large role in their success.

If Ricoh Pentax could learn from the strategy...

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/19/subaru-best-cars/?source=cnn_bin