On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 03:41:01PM -0500, Bruce Walker wrote:

> Frankly this scares me more than a little. I don't want to have to
> deal with dumbed-down interfaces where you have to try and convince
> the machine what you want to do. I've likened attempts to browse on an
> iPhone to working an elevator wearing boxing gloves. If you whack
> repeatedly at it you may eventually get it do what you want, but it's
> a real pisser.

Let's face it - you (and I) aren't the target market.

A day or two ago I happened to be waiting in line next to a teenager
(at Rudy's Barbecue joint in Austin).  She had a smartphone with a
much smaller screen than my Droid.  Despite that, and that she was
using it one-handed (with a couple of fingers curled round the phone,
leaving the thumb free to operate the virtual keyboard) she was able
to type messages at a rate probably faster than I can manage using a
full-size keyboard.  Admittedly I don't know what her keying error rate
was, but from what I've seen of texting that's often not too important,

I though at the time that was pretty impressive on a keyboard about
the size of a 35mm frame :-)

On a tangentially related note, our local California schools have
just dropped the requirement that students learn cursive script
(a.k.a. joined-up handwriting), replacing it by a keyboarding test.