On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com> wrote:
> I've been approached by a Danish (?) textbook company to use some of my
> images for both print and ebook.
>
> They've asked nicely if they "…can use some of your images".  For
> non-profits, illustrative use, and other things I've been known to say "sure,
> just go ahead".
>
> Since this is a commercial venture, however, I'm inclined to say "yes, but…"
> and ask to be compensated.
>
> It's been awhile since I've sold any images - what are the few concise smart
> questions to ask them in terms of how the images will be used?

This is the exact form letter I used (successfully) on many occasions
when I was contacted in this way. I obtained the basic version of it
from the Editorial Photographers association and website, along with
many of the basic documents you need to do this sort of thing without
cutting your own throat (http://www.editorialphoto.com):

"Dear {person who contacted you},

Thank you for your inquiry into the use of my copyrighted photographs.
I would be most pleased to license them for your use.

Do you have a Terms and Conditions of Use Agreement which you
customarily use? If not, I have a standard T&CUA which I can prepare
for your review.

I use the licensing rates provided by FOTOQuote Pro software, which
requires that I know the market domain, press run, and intended use
for the photos to calculate a rate to quote for your use. If you can
provide this information, or have your own company photo rate schedule
that I can review, I will be happy to work with you to fix an
appropriate compensation for your use.

I look forward to doing business with you. And thank you again for your inquiry!

Sincerely,
{name
 title, business name, and full contact information}"

Good luck! For a few years there, cold call contacts like this
provided a nice living ... it's a tough business.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com