When someone says "without getting too pricey" it is hard to know what
the means to them. Later in this thread the OP says that the DFA 100mm
f2.8 would be good, so assuming that is not too pricey. If that's not
too pricey, then I think that is your lens.

For any Pentax lens, you can do some comparisons on the Pentax Photo
Gallery. Just click the "camera and lenses" link in the upper right.
You can select a lens without selecting a body. This will allow you to
check the various perspective, bokeh, etc. Obviously, this will only
work for Pentax lenses, but you can go way back to Takumars there, if
you like.

The DFA 100mm macro:
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=130

One option I'll throw out there for you, if you are considering
popping for a DFA100 macro. You might want to also consider the
Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 macro. It will cover full frame (obviously) if you
hope for a future Pentax FF model or still shoot film on occasion. One
reviewer who previously owned the DFA says the F is faster on the
autofocus. (
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-100mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html
) It also has a focus range limiter, which the DFA lacks (and some
have missed). Best of all, when the are offered they usually go in the
$400-500 range, which represents a significant savings over the DFA.
(They aren't offered often, but one sold on that infernal auction site
within the past 30 days for a $430 BIN.)

I got mine for effectively free when I found a P-Z1 kit with multiple
lenses, flash and accessories and sold off the other stuff to keep the
F100. Due to life going to hell in a handbasket, I haven't gotten to
use it much yet, but I'm glad to have it in my arsenal.