I understand where you're coming from Tom, but I don't necessarily agree with
much of it.  I don't
see my Pentax kit as an investment of any sort. Most of it has been collected
second-hand, and got
because it suited what I saw as my needs at the time.  For example, the first
'extra' I ever bought
for a Pentax SLR was the clip-on meter for the SV - because I had had too many
spoiled shots
estimating exposure by guesswork.  I have no idea how much I have spent over
the years, but probably
not as much as some have spent on just one or two lenses recently.  Overall, I
have just about all
the equipment I need right now:

I don't shoot sports, so I don't need super-fast autofocus.  If my grandkids
are running around
having fun - a video shot shows that much better than a series of stills anyway.

I don't shoot birds on the wing (unless they're very close), so I have no need
for long fast glass.

I don't print bigger than A4, so more megapixels is not a deal-breaker.

Even without the rationale above of the type of photos I don't take and the
fact that I am generally
satisfied with the performance of my kit, I like the way Pentax is now
producing what seems to be
well-specified kit at more than reasonable prices.  I can probably justify (to
myself at least, if
not to the CFO) one more new camera, and it will be a Pentax - one good reason
is that everything I
now have will still be usable on a new body.
If I wasn't getting the results I want from my Pentax kit, whether film or
digital, I'd probably be
looking at changing brands, but, this is not the case.   The changeover cost of
moving to another
brand is just too high, and I have no guarantees I'd be any more satisfied than
now
photographically.

Your mileage obviously does vary, of course - but to each his own applies, I
think.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia