Ack! Sorry about the incorrect link. Here's the penny photo:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uwNAmVlyxQAN1jadgOm1qNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
or: http://goo.gl/2IOiC

> I'm sorry my Cosina is not living up to your expectations...but seeing
> your rig I'm wondering about how insanely high your expectations might
> be  :-D

Oh gosh, no no, I didn't mean to gripe about the lens or you or
anything! I bought the lens because it was cheap, which was just what
I wanted to be able to test out this rig. I knew it wouldn't be
optimal for this kind of photography.

> You can calculate the magnification power of your set up with a ruler.
> Take a photo of it as close as you can, parallel to the ruler, and the
> ruler running from side to side of the frame. Look at the image and
> count how much of the ruler you've photographed. If you're using
> millimeters, let's say your picture shows 12mm of the ruler. An APS-C
> sensor is 24mm wide, so your magnification ratio is 12/24 = 0.5, so
> you can say your macro capability is 1:0.5 (or 2:1 if you prefer). If
> the image you'd taken was 24mm across, then your macro ratio would be
> 1:1, or "life size", which is what macro lenses (such as your 100mm
> f/2.8) typically reach.

Awesome! Thanks for that. Now I will just have to see about finding a
ruler with small enough increments. ;)

John