From: Mark Roberts
The kind of hardcore lock-up you describe usually points toward a
hardware issue of some kind. I suspect the video card first but you
might try swapping our memory modules first (because that's cheaper):
If you have more than one memory module, remove one. See if the
problem goes away with only one memory module installed. Try swapping
slots. Sometimes removing and reinserting the modules helps (try that
with the video card).

I replaced the system memory about two weeks ago. These freeze-ups had
been going on before that. That was one reason I replaced the memory.
The other reason was to go from 1GB RAM to 2GB RAM (max the main-board
will accept) because I thought it might make the system run faster when
I was multi-tasking.

The video card is seated properly as well as I can tell. I had to remove
it to make room so I could get my hands inside the case when I was
putting in the new memory.

But it is getting a bit long in the tooth, so maybe I should just
replace it while I can still find an AGP video card.