> Doug Franklin wrote:
>
> I've seen a commentary or two lately that claim, with some historical
> backing, that personal privacy was an aberration of Western
> society in the 19th and 20th centuries, as
> compared to the rest of human history.

In what way I ask. There's certainly much I don't know. Are you
referring to the concept of personal privacy or the state of personal
privacy (i.e. the ease with which it can be invaded and trampled
upon)?  I understand privacy can be invaded in any number of ways, but
never in human history have major portions of populations, via
technology, enabled powers to clandestinely track them, including
their whereabouts, contacts, purchases, transactions, etc.

Tom C.