I tried out an F80 today, with a USM(or whatever they call it) lens, and
although it was quiet and silky smooth, it didnt achieve focus lock any
faster than my Pentaxes. The motor moved to the right 'region' of focus
quicker, but it then did a lot of fidgetting before deciding it was
happy - my pentaxes take a bit longer to wind the focus ring, but they
snap into focus when they get there.

Also, the viewfinder screen seemed no better on this than any MZ I have
ever used.  It is cool the way that the 'target' rings flash when focus
is achieved, but its a gimmick I could live without, and might even find
annoying in time.  The viewfinder was not particularly bright, or bigger
than anything pentax has to my mind.

Felt nice enough though.  Glass aside, it would be hard not to feel
tempted in comparison to the mid range MZ bodies.  But you wouldnt get
any SMC for a start, and they have no match for the MZ-S higher up the
range...