I can't disagree with you at all, Bob.

I've never been disappointed with any of my Pentax purchases since I got my K-x. I meant it when I said I truly love my gear. It's just that it's difficult to evangelize on behalf of the brand when you're forced to tell people, "Well, you can't get it in stores. You're just going to have to take my word for it: They're great cameras, and you won't find a better value." Just the other night, I was trying to push the K-30 on a guy who is an aspiring nature photographer who wants to take photos of waterfowl from a blind. I ticked off its advantages and the prices compared to similarly-appointed bodies from Canon and Nikon, but I just can't see an aspiring photographer taking the plunge on a mail-order camera without the benefit of someone giving him pointers on how the thing works.

And I can't help thinking the brand suffers from this lack of availability at brick-and-mortar outlets, and that the brand can only stand so much suffering before it finally succumbs to market forces and a shrinking pool of devotees.

Sure, it's a piddling thing to get worked into a lather over, but it does concern me. I like being a Pentax shooter, and I'd like to be one for good. I'm not concerned about full-frame bodies and bleeding-edge technology so much as being able to count on the brand's existence in the long term. I just don't see how they can win over neophytes and converts without at least some corporeal presence at the point of sale.

-- Walt