Lawyers (including lurking lawyers) on the list please feel free to correct me,
but as I understand it, a contract is (or at least used to be) an agreement
between two or more people (corporations are considered people) with
consideration flowing between or among all parties.

The agreement part is easy: a meeting of the minds, all parties understanding
what each other means and a clear view of what is required of each of them.

Consideration is the "stuff" of the contract. If I say I'll give you 5$ for the
book in your hand and you agree, the book and the $5 are the consideration. If
I give you the money and you refuse to give me the book, we have an actionable
contract and I can sue you.

Otoh, if you say, "I'll give you this book for free," and I agree, you can
change your mind and I can't do a thing about it. We had agreement but
consideration only went one way (the book to me). Without consideration flowing
both ways all we have is a broken promise; morally wrong but not legally wrong
and not actionable.

Okay, with Instagram I think we have an agreement (never mind that no one reads
the fine print). Instagram agrees to provide image processing and ease of
posting services. I agree to (whenever I feel like it) to use those services.

My problem is, what's the consideration? Clearly consideration flows from
Instagram to the user in the form of services made available.

What flows from user to Instagram?

I'd say that Bob is right: user information which can then be sold or used. I
would even say that if Instagram doesn't compile, sell or otherwise use
customer information that the fact that you have registered is to their
benefit. "We have over 100,000,000 users worldwide with 10,000 a day signing
up!", will attract advertisers, investors, buyers. They benefit from your mere
presence.

So to my mind there is clearly a contract. The terms of service are clearly
terms (in a legal sense) of that contract, meaning they cannot be changed
without the agreement of all parties. IG can't impose them. They have to let
each individual user know they are being changed and give them a chance to
un-register if they don't agree.

Any photo posted pre-change would not be subject to IG using for free, unless
the user agrees. If any user leaves I think it would be implied that they do
not agree to such use of images already submitted.

Sorry to be long winded but that's my take on the legality of it all.

Cheers,
frank