On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:01 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:

>> The selection of the monthly faves is more from my wanting to save
>> that photo to look at later.  The main reason for putting a shot in
>> the monthly faves is because, at the moment, I really like that shot,
>> or other people comment very favorably about it.  I started the
>> monthly faves to make selecting three to submit for the annual that
>> much easier, but realized that with my terrible editing skills, it is
>> a much better place to point people to my photos than my flickr
>> account in general.
>
> Hehe, that's cheating :-). A good way of cheating, but nonetheless - you make
> other people make your choices for you :-). Seriously however, I do enjoy
> looking at your collections, though somehow I never thought I was supposed to
> vote or something... Sadly, I don't have much time for anything these days
> and hence my social photographic (those that relate to photography and
> involve being social) activities are far less than I would want them to be.

What I meant was if I like a photo, or if someone else comments particularly
favorably on a photo, then I put it in the monthly faves, so that I'll know to
look at it at the end of the year.

>> A lot of the selection into the annual faves probably has to do with
>> the mood I'm in when I go through the monthly faves to select the
>> annual faves.  Looking through my faves from this past year, I was
>> actually somewhat disappointed, I didn't have a lot to choose from,
>> and didn't see much that was particularly good technically, while
>> still original or creative.
>
> I might humbly suggest you do so while listening to music. You might find
> such an experience fascinating...

Heh. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that has a hard time concentrating
on much of anything else if I'm listening to music I enjoy.

>> "An imperfect ten" was probably my most creative photo this year:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/8068490566/in/set-72157631471892470
>>
>> Since it incorporated using the astrotracer, as well as shining a
>> green laser through a lens in a special mount so that I could use it
>> for calligraphy, but when I was making a print of it for my sensei, I
>> realized how technically flawed it is.  The problem with doing things
>> that are cutting edge technically, is that they aren't going to be
>> technically perfect, or even very good, without a lot of work and
>> development.
>
> I don't know... I mean - it is a cool photo but in my view it is more
> technically challenging or gadget-wise advanced than anything... It is not to
> say that it is a bad photo - it is very good, but I think you and I define
> "creative" differently.

I've seen other people do astrotracer photos, but most of those are either "gee
look at the pretty sky", or "look at the pretty sky with the majestic landscape
in front".

I've seen people do light painting, but generally with a flashlight or a
strobe. I haven't seen people doing it with a laser.

I certainly haven't seen other people doing calligraphy with a laser.

In order for the calligraphy to work better, I devised a mounting to shine the
laser through the lens, yet another thing that I don't think anyone else has
done.

I also combined the calligraphy, with the astrophotography, another thing that
I haven't seen people doing.

So, there were several aspects to the photo that if someone else had done them,
I didn't know about them. To me, creative means doing something someone else
hasn't.  Synonymous with innovative.  Mind you, innovation and artistic merit
are completely orthogonal vectors. Some people do beautiful work that is
completely derivative of other people's work, and some of us produce completely
original crap.

> I think that you should come here and we should do some serious shooting...

That is something I would certainly enjoy, though a trip 12 time zones away is
so far beyond my current budget we might as well plan on a photographic outing
to the ISS.  However, if you do find yourself within a couple of timezones of
me again, I might be more likely to arrange meeting you there for some serious
shooting, or even some frivolous photography.