You're over thinking this Larry.

From: Larry Colen
On Jan 2, 2013, at 8:53 PM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:

Well, yes, that's why it is a FAILED experiment.

I was trying to focus on the snow instead of the buildings and people.
I thought it might look interesting.  Turns out, it's pretty much
impossible to actually do that, at least with my old geezer eyes.

You might be able to set the focus properly on the snow if you used that little
dial on your lens that is marked off in feet or meters.  :-)

Even so, to get decent depth of field so that a significant number of the
snowflakes were in focus, you might have to slow the shutter down so much that
they are all motion blurred.  You might be able to do something with a
speedlight, several feet off camera. Right next to the camera, and all you'll
get is glare off of every snowflake between the lens and the focal distance.

When I looked at it, first I said, "Ah shit," but the more I looked at
it, the more I liked it, weird as it is.  So, I thought I would post
it here so folks could tell me how terrible it is and why I shouldn't
like it.

One WTF technique I use when I blow the focus on an otherwise nice photo, is to
dial the clarity all of the way up in lightroom. Beyond a certain point it
starts looking, to me anyways, more like something somebody drew than an out of
focus photo.  I'll also often tweak with the exposure, black point, contrast
and even vibrance and saturation to see if I can bring out something artistic.
It doesn't always, or some might say often, work but I occasionally like the
results.  Oddly, out of focus photos tend to work better with this, than
sharply focused photos.