Brendan,

If you want to see even more improvement, download VueScan (if you don't already use
it).  It's faster, better and more robust than using the Twain software that comes
with most scanners.

I believe it may provide better scans than the Silverfast software that comes with the
Epsons.

Cheers,
Dave

(oh.... http://www.hamrick.com for vuescan)

<snip>
Actually I need to retact what I said about the Epson
1680 before. I just got the new drivers for XP and the
scan quality has improved greatly. This was the first
test with the new drivers and the out of focus
problems are gone, this scan was only reduce in size,
no unsharp mask or colour correction nothing.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/flowers2/por.jpg
</snip>