To: <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 2:57 PM
Subject: Orion Starblast vs 500mm mirror

ok, I'm twice bitten. for the second time in my lifetime, I'm willing to enter astrophoto with more than casual approach. issue, the very same as 30yrs ago - still have less cash to use than a proper gear requires, problem added by the higher prices of BR stores. trying to fill gaps in my photo bag and start a more serious star trek, I'm considering both a 500mm mirror lens and a Starblast 4.5 by Orion. using the 500mm to shoot stars is far easier than using a reflector telescope to catch a sunset, mainly due to image orientation - something the Starblast would require an accesory to do, probably losing the image quality its simple construction offers. theory... I'd not try to handhold either, anyway.

do you PDML'ers have any experience with 500mm mirror teles and astropix? would someone by chance have used both some 500mm mirror and a smaller telescope, and care to comment?

optics is a small part of the star problem - I'm currently trying to start a home-made tracker, suitable I hope for my current lenses and the 500mm. so I'm avoiding more expensive glass as not sure of being able to track well enough to make the difference. well, even smaller steps count.

tia,
lf
--
luiz felipe