Thanks Ann, Marnie, Bob, Bruce, Cotty, Dan and everyone else who looked.

On Jan 12, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

> I don't know what the number is, but I favor the one where the ant is
> climbing up the side... I couldnt get this link that Marnie picked to load so
> don't know if it's the same..

I posted 234, the ant climbing up the edge is 226
The whole set:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157632497652359/

> As always, when you post something I look at the others in the group..
> I didn't see the ant at first on the one where he approaches the edge at
> first...

Good point. It really stood out for me, but I knew what I was looking for.
Bruce made some suggestions on bringing it out, which I'll try.  It's always a
challenge picking which photo to show.  Often times my choice is based as much
on which photo lends itself to a catchier title.

> Just FYI , since you've been doing a lot of fungi/mushroom shots,
> this is a  fungus, not lichen.  I'm thinking "false Turkey tail"

Good point.  Sometime in my yoot, I was told that they were shelf lichen, and
doing a google photo search on shelf lichen brings up a lot of pictures of very
similar things. But, a bit of research shows that they are really shelf fungus,
or polypores:
http://stchas-dan.blogspot.com/2010/05/fungi-vs-lichens.html

> Nice work on that meta sculpture stuff a few thumbnails over.. was that a
> paying gig?

Thanks.  Yesterday, someone commented in another thread that klein bottles are
very difficult to photograph. I suspect that they were thinking of a klein
bottle being a four dimensional rather than a three dimensional object, more
like a tesseract.  I felt compelled to take half an hour and prove him wrong.
It's impressive how easy it is to get decent semi macro shots of something like
that when you use a studio flash with a huge softbox and make sure that the
nearest wall is a ways back from the light.

 My friend Sheba does some amazing artwork, and is actually one of the people
pushing the state of the art in 3-d printing.
http://bathsheba.com

I have several of her sculptures, perhaps my favorite is the klein bottle,
bottle opener.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/8370075454/

This shot was fun, because while the softbox was great for photographing the
sculpture, it was a bit tough for photographing the bottle.  I also would have
preferred some sort of rim lighting to highlight the edge of the bottle.  So,
keeping in the spirit if quick and dirty, I had Zab cover the worst of the
reflections with her left hand, and rotated the bottle slightly so that the
back label defined the edge.  I'm actually quite pleased with that shot, both
from it turning out a lot better than I was expecting, and the fact that I did
it with only one light.