----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Mitchell"
Subject: Re: X-Pro 1, eh?

Hi William

My X-Pro1 is a present for a big birthday so I'm a very lucky chap. It
fits the bill as you described for interchangeable lenses. It's APS-C
so the same crop factor as the Pentax bodies. The 3 lenses (18mm, 35mm
and 60mm) that were launched with it are highly regarded. I've got the
35mm and a 18mm on order as part of a 2 lenses for 1 offer in the UK.
I've also got a K-mount adaptor on order so will be able to use my MF
/ aperture ring based lenses in manual focus and stop down metering.
There's now a consumer level zoom and many more lenses in the
pipeline.

Size wise it's not the smallest in the Fuji range - with the 35mm lens
on it's the same overall dimensions as my MX with the 50mm F1.7 lens
on it. It's the same height as the MX's pentaprism s the MX looks
smaller because of the shoulders either side of the pentaprism (if
that makes any sense).

It's feels lighter than the MX, but the build quality is superb and it
feels well engineered and very solid.

The shots that I did at the Barbican exhibition were at ISO3200 and
I'm more than happy with the quality. At 1600 it's truly excellent.
Much better than my K7, but I can't compare with a K5.

I haven't had it for long enough to do a proper review, but initially
I'm very impressed. Of course there are quirks - there are the usual
gripes on the forums, but nothing that I'm not prepared to live with.
The big one that they're all on about is the lack of full support in
Lightroom (Google it for a happy hour or two's reading) but I've been
using LR without seeing any issues. It's light to carry around and the
lenses are small and light. With the ability to put my Pentax lenses
on it, I can see it becoming my main body with the K7 as backup.

I know a couple of people with the X10, including Cotty, and I get
very good feedback about it. The fast zoom is seen to be excellent and
it looks as though the X20 is going to be a significant improvement.

Hope this helps

It certainly does help. I suspect that I will probably look pretty seriously at the X20 when it becomes available. The X-1Pro is pretty expensive, I'm not sure if I'll be able to justify it or not. I'm not in a huge rush, so I can wait and see what other lenses they make for the thing.

thanks again

William Robb