From: Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org>
Sent: January 13, 2013 1/13/13
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO - Still Smiling (bike messenger content)

Hi Frank,

Sorry, I can't help sharing: my reaction to "still smiling" is
the association with two old children's jokes:

1. Teacher, telling students about safety: when you are at the construction
site, you are supposed to wear a hard hat. When a brick fell on Nick who
was wearing a hard hat, he just smiled.
A student: "Yeah, he is still smiling".

2.
-- Our neighbor's daughter is always smiling.
-- That's because they pull her pigtails really tight.

Back to the photo:
It's a nice smile well captured.
It looks like you used fill-in flash (?), which is done well, providing
well lit face without any shadows.

1. I would straighten the shot a bit by rotating it slightly CW.
(right now the walls on the right are vertical, but the
vertical structures behind the guy (are leaning toward the left).
This provide slightly more natural position/angle for the guy
(including that for his left leg [on the right for us]).

I am not sure, but I might consider doing lens correction for the lens
distortion, so that the poles are not leaning outward as much.
At ~21mm focal length, there is noticeable wide-angle lens effect.

2. Additionaly, I'd think about two improvements in the composition:
a) The empty right half of the frame in this case doesn't quite work for
me. (It could've if he was facing that way.)
b) The clutter of the detail behind his shoulder and head is a bit
distracting (there is not enough separation, so those things are growing
out of his shoulder and head). The two poles to the side are less
of a problem (and they create ambience, but they are also not separated
enough.

I would've made a step to the left so that it is the pedestrian walk
that is behind the guy (being careful not to have "Little Anthony's"
growing out of his ear[s]), and would also consider opening up the
aperture to blur the background a bit. (Although, f/4 that you used
might be the largest opening for your lens, - I don't know what you
were using.)

I hope you don't mind these suggestions.

Cheers,

Igor

Sun Jan 13 12:57:05 EST 2013