From: Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>
Sent: January 17, 2013 1/17/13
To: Pentax Discuss Mailing List <PDML@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: I've been selected for a juried art show, VAM35

Well, the opening is over, and it was really well attended. In fact it
was a crush of the kind where inching sideways was necessary to
navigate at times. Surprising as Mississauga is not in any way a
cultural hot spot and it was also pretty cold (-9C) and snowing
tonight.

I'll have to wait until my wife's P&S is emptied to see if there are
any stills to share. I took my K20D but didn't really bother with it.
Seemed more of an enjoy-the-moment kind of evening to me. Met some
friends, drank some wine, had a couple of veggie spring rolls.
Wondered how on earth a few of the works ever got selected, but on the
whole enjoyed the show.

This was the first year (of 35) that photography was included with
traditional fine art media, so I was proud to have been selected and
to represent the photographic intruders. :-) I printed my shot at 30
by 20 inches on gallery-wrapped canvas, which I thought was plenty
large enough, but it was dwarfed by the paintings, some of which were
probably eight feet tall. I'd say the size of the average work in this
show is 3x4 feet -- clearly Big Art is In.

But interestingly the show's First Prize winner was a conceptual piece
made up of a collage of photos. Not strictly Photography per se as
it's documentation of the work which is really an installation, or a
series of smaller installations. I didn't win anything, except for a
warm buzz of participation -- or from the wine; unsure which.

I've made my shot public again, so you can see it here:
http://www.flickr.com/bruce_m_walker/8207621870/

--
-bmw