Folks,
Meet my friend Surrina.  She just started a photography class at City College
of San Francisco and needs to buy a camera for it. The requirements are:
need to have the camera with manual features , shutter and aperture, at least
10 mp....need lens hood, shutter remote, tripod, clean kit,

She had talked to a friend who was suggesting Nikon D3100 or D3200.

My initial advice is that she should find the cheapest used DSLR that she can,
and learn to use it, so that when she buys a new camera, she'll know exactly
what she wants.  My theory is that 95% of the time, people who buy a camera
before they understand what they want to do with photography, realize a year
later (or sooner) that they really want something other than what they bought.
So, if you buy used, you can sell the starter kit without losing very much
money.

We poked around and found a pretty good deal on a K-x with two zooms on
craigslist:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3552636794.html

I also thought about it and realized that a Pentax Q would do pretty much
everything she needs, would have interchangeable lenses, and would be a handy
pocket camera, even after she upgraded to a DSLR.  Plus, there are some really
good deals on brand new Q's right now.

Before she pulls the trigger and spends a reasonable chunk of money,  I thought
I'd ask if anybody has a decent camera kit (brand doesn't matter, just that it
works) that they'd be willing to sell to her for a good price. Or for that
matter, lets pull a long shot, and see if anyone has one they could loan her.

In a similar vein, does anyone know of any exceptional deals on a Q, or any
other camera (u4/3?) that would do the job for her?

I cc'd her, but her email is surr...@yahoo.com

    Larry