On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Mark Roberts
<postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:
> Steve Cottrell wrote:
>
>>If you use MS Office on a PC, can you tell me: if you create a Word
>>document and it is a '.docx' file, can you then 'Save As' an old-
>>fashioned '.doc' file??
>>
>>Many thanks.
>
> Yes. I'm pretty sure even the latest version of Office will let you do
> that. (I know it did until Office 2008, which is the last version I
> taught.) I think it can even let you do that as *default*.
>
> I haven't upgraded my version of Office in donkey's years. I keep a
> copy of Open Office on hand for opening and creating newer format
> Office documents (and then re-save them in the old format).

.. and on OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion, Pages and TextEdit know how to
open .docx files now. I don't have any MS products installed, but
between Pages, TextEdit, Numbers, and KeyNote, I can read all the
current MS app files from Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and output to
compatible format files as well.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com