I had, and still have, an impressive collection of FA, FA* & Limiteds.

I didn't jump ship to join the FF bandwagon. I jumped ship because
Pentax's cameras couldn't do what I needed (I had a K20D at the time).

Around the time of the D700's release I had been shooting a lot of
long exposure night sky scenes...and then spending several hours in
Photoshop cleaning up the sensor heat bloom that stained all my shots.

The D300/D300s had the same issue, the equivalent APS Canon at that
time had similar problems.

When the D700 came out I went to the official product launch here. I
was suitably impressed. The metering, AF,  flash & high ISO all just
worked in a way that Pentax never seemed to be able to match. Also the
sensor didn't turn magenta at exposures longer than 5 minutes.

My going full frame was a by-product of getting a camera that enabled
me to shoot what I wanted without having to clean up the mess the
camera made in post.

I see a lot of people buying FF cameras simply because the sensor is
bigger. They still shoot the same crap they always did & don't really
get the full benefits of what the larger sensor can offer.

DS