Larry, in English transliteration "friends" will be "havErim"... Havar (notice the second A) is a type of stone that is typical for the area. It is called "marlstone" in English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marl.

Wadi (Arabic, Nahal in Hebrew) is a stream of water that dries out in summer and may or may not flow in winter. Additionally, wadi means "valley" in Arabic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi.

This time I have seen the actual mud and wet sand in the middle of Negev desert. This was pretty amazing, though I don't hike, so I am probably easily impressed.

Granted, even Israelis often confuse the name of the wadi and call it Wadi Haverim, which is inaccurate.

But, beside the linguistics - this is relatively easy hike and if you look it up in Google you will find that this is outstanding photographic location. If you come, be sure to bring your GPS unit and some interesting night sky photography can be done there...

Boris