From: Larry Colen

On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:

While I'm working on sorting through the photos, I figure I might
as well put up some old shots (I suppose this is technically GESO,
but it's all different exposures of the same shot):

http://rule6.info/photos/critique/moon/

I'm curious which shot(s) people like best -- and why.  This was a
quick experiment in long exposures (I noticed the moon peeking
through the trees and ran in to get my A710 and tripod).  The shots
are nothing to write home about, but might be suitable for
postcards.

To be honest, none of them work.  The problem is one of dynamic
range.  The moon is in full sunshine, so it's pretty much the sunny
16 rule:

f/16 at 1/ISO for the shutter speed.

Using the sunny 16 rule gives you an 18% gray moon. Try f/11 @ 1/ISO. Just for luck, try f/11 +1/3 and f/11 +2/3 at 1/ISO. One of those exposures will give you a moon that is just right.