That's a shame. I purchased all three of my 285HVs second hand and they're all the old made-by-Vivitar version. I still keep a look-out for older 285HVs whenever I wander into camera shops.

From: Bruce Walker
Beware of the new reissue 285HV's though: Vivitar in name only, apparently.
http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2007/02/return-of-classic.html

Check out the Yongnuo flashes instead. A YN-460 is $78 at Amazon.
The YN-560 II is $130 and is equiv to a Pentax AF-540 (a photon bomb)
or Nikon SB800 for power.
All manual-only, like the 285HV.