Walt,
You've got a K-5!
You can stretch the iso to 3200 or 6400 and get good shots in the dark.
And that shutter speed with shake reduction can go to 1/20th or 1/10th.
That should get you ball and cue motion but shaarp people.
Do some testing.  You CAN push the limits with the K-5!
(Nice image of a colorful character too. Love the hand holding the cue on left.)
Regards,  Bob S.