When I shot/shoot film I almost always had a yellow filter on - not for protection. sometimes and orange filter, sometimes red. Unless I was
shooting people.  shooting color, either nothing or a polarizer...
or a color filter for  adjusting to artificial light.

Shooting digital,none of this is necessary - thanks to Elements and Raw :-)

Shooting with a lens hood on I'm never worried about hurting the glass.
I clean with my t shirt and a blower and a breath.  Except at GFM,
where Nico does all that for me

ann