HI Ann,

Thanks for the look. It's a brand new  house, about 25 rooms I believe. It
certainly invokes an old-world style. It's on the site of an 1832 farmhouse
that was moved a few years ago after the 27-acre remnant of an old farm that it
stood on was purchased by developers.

Although Detroit was first settled by the French in 1702, all early buildings
were of a temporary nature and to the best of my knowledge, none survive. The
oldest house dates from 1826. It's a three story colonial
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Trowbridge_House).

Bloomfield Hills, the site of the house in the photo is about 25 miles north of
Detroit and is home to many lavish buildings, but none of them are very old. I
believe the oldest significant house is Cranbrook House, which was designed in
1908 by Albert Kahn for the Booth family
(http://housegardens.cranbrook.edu/about). Leonard Bernstein wrote the music
for West Side Story on the grand piano in Cranbrook House, while visiting in
spring of 1946. And that's all I know:-).