From: Larry Colen

The good news is that I am now working and collecting a paycheck
again.

The not so good news is that the house project I started in October
that should have taken a week or two is still going strong, and keeps
growing.  I tried to stop the leaking into the downstairs through one
wall, and ended up rebuilding about eight feet of wall from the
ground up.  Once that was done, there were two other leaks, and in
order to solve them we need to do some major digging out under the
house so that the dirt under the house is not piled up higher than
the concrete wall that is supposed to keep groundwater out.

Since I'm working now, I had to hire a contractor to do that.  In
order to dig it out, he had to take out the upper half of one of the
walls in the apartment under the house.  Once he (or rather Martin,
his rent-a-mexican) got a substantial amount of the dirt dug out, Ray
discovered that the posts on piers that were (in theory) holding up
the house, were in reality just hanging from the joists.  He is now
putting in beams to support the joists, and posts on real pillars,
sunk into the dirt, so that the house stays up for reasons other than
force of habit.

This project is taking distressingly large bites out of my lens
budget.  I'm rather hoping that I can continue putting off the
expense of the project of pouring an actual foundation under one end
of the house. There is a reason I call it the temple of deferred
maintenance.

Save a couple of dollars to rent the DVD

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/