Cool!

I prefer cookies with coffee tho

ann

On 3/11/2013 15:48, Mark Roberts wrote:
Hello everyone. Just wanted to post the latest on the 2013 PDML Photo
Annual.

The submission period ended some time back and now we're in the
traditional "trying to coax/cajole/plead with the editors to get their
votes in on the photos that we'll be using. Nothing different there :)

What is new is that a couple of weeks ago I received a mailing from
Dana-Farber about a promotion/incentive that seemed interesting: An
anonymous millionaire (most likely) supporter of theirs has agreed to
match (that is, effectively double) every donation they receive before
March 15. I emailed the Powers That Be to ask if we could take
advantage of this while still directing our donation to the Global
Health Initiative - since the PDML is an international group I feel
quite strongly that our donation should go to a program with
international scope. Friday I received the reply that we could
definitely direct our donation to the Global Health Initiative but not
the matching funds that come from the anonymous donor. I suppose it's
not ideal but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at: We raise $500.00
(about what our annual donation comes to), it still goes to the
international program we support, and an extra five hundred bucks
magically goes to their cancer research in general. What's not to
like?

Well, the deadline, of course. We haven't even finished putting the
book together at this point, much less sold any copies, and the
deadline's four days away. So here's my plan: I'll write them a check
for $500.00 when I meet with them on Friday so we get the matching
donation. I'll apply the book sales toward my $500 as they come in. If
sales fall short of $500 the difference will be on me (this is pretty
much how it works out every year, actually: we make $400-$450 and I
round up to $500 with my own donation). If we go over $500 I'll spent
the extra on cookies and beer (just kidding - I'll donate that as
well).

So that's the plan unless there are any strong, well-reasoned
objections from burly guys who live close enough to come over here and
beat me up.