I finally got the chance to borrow a DSLR that has had the IR filter removed.
It's a Rebel XTi.  Last night I took it to a weekly dance and mostly shot using
the Canon flash with an IR filter over the flash. It was my first time using
this rig, so I certainly don't have things dialed in.  His 30/1.8 lens is a bit
flakey, so I just used the Sigma 17-70.  Towards the end of the evening, I
tried using my IRED array as a focus assist.

The setup has it's own set of advantages and drawbacks.  I think that a K-01,
or some other mirrorless camera that has been converted to IR would do a better
job because you could focus based on what's on the sensor.  Likewise you could
compose and focus, even with an IR pass/visible block filter on the lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157633067710534/