Hello Zos I am a Pentaxian since some 36 years and shoot outdoors
pretty frequently. But if you see my gear it will look as good as new.
So are my laptops/tablets, the 35 year old brief case 4-in-one stereo
system, the 3 or 4 binoculars, even my car. And yes you could sleep in
my bathroom - it is so clean and hygienic.
Simple, cleanliness and keeping things clean is a way of life, an
attitude, and a bit of routine "safe" brushing and cleaning. So here
it is:-
a) I have since changed to WR lenses and cameras. These are well
sealed and do not suck in dust or moisture. Also these lenses are less
prone to fogging and moisture proof. Hopefully fungus and coating
deterioration will be a thing of the past - but time will tell.
b) The newer lenses have SP coatings, less prone to finger prints and
water retention. They are also harder wearing. But that said, I never
blow on my lens and the use a hanky to clean them. Blowing leaves acid
from your breath on the lens coating and hankys always have fine dust
on them - leave fine swirl & scratch marks on the lens.
I use high quality nylon or squirrel hair brush to clean the lens
surface. Then Japanese (NOT China) micro fiber cloth to clean them.
c) I always have the best quality Pro Protector Clear Slim Frame &
Thin Glass SMC Filters on my lens. The hood is always on - indoors or
out. And the lens is capped when not in use - learned from my K1000 SE
days - uncapped the meter is ON, capped the meter is OFF & no battery
drain.
Also I buy lots of lens caps - keep loosing them - $ 1.70 for a 77mm
cap shipped fro China. Can it be any cheaper and safer?
d) I avoid changing lenses outdoors. When I must, I check the wind
direction, turn my back, hunch forward, keep the 2nd lens ready in the
bag with the rear cap loosen'd, point the lens down remove the lens,
cap it with the cap from the 2nd lens, the attach this lens with the
camera still facing downwards.
I always carry a large thin film plastic bag to protect my gear in
case of a shower. So in very windy & dusty conditions I change lenses
inside the look thru plastic bag.
f) hey look, I love classical lenses both M42 & K - have lots of them
- but I don't go overboard on them - they just can't be better than
the computer designed stuff with their tuff lens coat & sealing - and
as a technocrat, a master mechanic and a retired advisor in the
world's largest conglomerate, I beg you to believe me. Old lenses will
yellow (radio active glass), lens elements will fog and separate (poor
balsam glue), single lens coating will deteriorate, looseness between
sliding tubes over time will become worse and let dust enter, old
grease (not smart synthetic stuff) will break down, others.
g) Please don't use a rocket blower (& never canned air)
indiscriminately on lenses and inside camera bodies. They will over
time cause more dust to accumulate inside.
h) When not in use, put the camera in a light neoprene case - $ 7 from
China shipped. I just remove mine before shooting and hang it from my
waist belt using the velcro on the case. This case (same fabric as a
wet suit) is pretty thick - protects your gear against knocks too.
i) For classic lenses wrap some thin film plastic on the lens barrels
at the overlapping joints held fast by rubber bands. You will have
lesser dust inside your lenses - and don't bother if  people laugh at
you. You will still be able to focus or zoom - just ensure the rubber
band is not too tight.
I could go on and on, my friend. If this has worked for me for three
decades it should work for you.
Give them a try - won't you.
Bipin - from that far away enchanting land.