"Shutter jello"?

cheers,
frank

--- Original Message ---

From: Zos Xavius <zosxav...@gmail.com>
Sent: March 23, 2013 3/23/13
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: considering upgrading

The 2-bits gives a lot more data in RAW. 12 vs 14-bit asides, I'm with
Aahz. The k-30 just isn't as fully featured as the k-5. The top plate
LCD is extremely useful and negates use of the back screen a lot, so
you can turn it off and save battery. For me it was the bracketing.
The k-30 is only three brackets, the k-5 is 5. Faster burst with a
very deep buffer. The k-5 is actually even now a pretty killer DSLR.
The only improvement with the k-30 is video really, but no external
mic input and a mono built in mic is kind of weak IMO. A k-01 is
actually a lot better for video. Yeah there's focus peaking, but I
don't like using live view and if I need to resort to live view in
difficult focusing situation I can generally see the plane of focus
pretty easily on a big screen like that, especially with a fast lens.

The plastic body might be a bit more rugged. My k-5 has survived a
fall off a tripod though and thankfully only the bottom plate really
scuffed, but the mount ring ended up bent. I'm also a bigger fan of
the k-5's classic looks. I bought a k-7 a year ago and jumped on a k-5
as soon as I could. Everything just works so much better than the k-7.
What else. There's no AF selector switch on the k-30 too. That's
probably about it. I like the mode dial on the left like the k-5 has
so there's that too, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. One argument
for video in the k-5's favor is that it uses SR whereas the k-30 I
believe uses a digital SR in processing that causes more wobble and
shutter jello. I find the AF in the k-5 perfectly fine personally. It
does seem to fail under tungsten and I believe the k-30 addresses that
better. If I get a consistent shift I can usually just adjust the
focus in the menu. Problem with that though is that I sometimes forget
to turn it off... ;)

I've tested and beat up this camera pretty thoroughly and it still
takes great pictures. I've had the rear LCD screen pop off after the
first fall and slide across asphalt and I just put it back on. The
adhesive still seemed pretty ok and I've used it in the rain since
then without any leaking. The cover is nice and scratched though. One
of these days I'll order a new one. I have a lot of dust on the screen
now too. Oh well. It still takes great pictures, especially when
paired with sharp glass. I'm going to say get the k-5.