Had a little pleasant monetary surprise, and had trips scheduled to
Tokyo and The Big Island in March, so on impulse got a Fujifilm X-E1
with the 35mmF1.4 and the 18-55 “kit” zoom.

It’s interesting, because the sensor size and useful ISO range is more
or less identical to the K-5, but the ergonomics and view-finding
could hardly be more different.

Conclusion: If you can put up with an EVF viewfinder, the advantages
of the lighter weight are, well, pretty major.  And that 35mmF1.4,
well wow.  I’m not sure about the future of SLRs in the mirrorless
age.

Anyhow, some photos:

Blog about the camera, with comparative Canon S100, X-E1, K-5 size
shot: http://goo.gl/BxeO8
Tokyo by night: http://goo.gl/aKomn
Imperial Palace Garden Gates: http://goo.gl/y9nTg
Ghostly garden: http://goo.gl/gHSsU
Green light: http://goo.gl/XH226
Shrine: http://goo.gl/Y8i5I
Stadium: http://goo.gl/SuJyM
Blog about the future of mirrorless: http://goo.gl/E95Do

Am I done with the Pentax?  Nope, because I have the 100mm macro and
the 50-135 and the big ol’ Tokina 400mm, and I can’t see any point in
replicating those on the Fuji.  But I think the 40mm pancake and Sigma
30mm F1.4 might not be getting much love in future.

 -T