From: Christine Nielsen <ch...@inielsen.net>
Sent: April 15, 2013 4/15/13
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Boston PDML'ers please check in

Christine Nielsen, checking in...

We were at our usual spot on Heartbreak Hill.  My brother ran his 5th
marathon today, and we were also watching for a cousin, and a couple
of friends to come by.

Long story short:  my brother crossed the finish about one minute
ahead of the blast.  He was approx 500 feet away, in the chutes.
Another friend of ours was with him.  There were a nervous few minutes
between the time I heard the first rumors of explosions -- texts were
coming in, and my teenage son was also getting updates from the world
beyond the Hill -- and the time I heard from my sister in law that
Bill was ok.  Still, it was tense until he managed to get home --
image the chaos in that vicinity, plus the post-marathon daze he must
have been in. I think adrenaline carried him home.

My cousin, and a couple of other friends, had just crested Heartbreak
Hill when runners were told to stop.  They were detained for a while
until a headcount of runners had been taken.

On my way home, eventually, heading south out of the city... at least
25-30 emergency vehicles heading into the city, lights flashing,
passed on the other side of the highway.

Finally home just 30 mins ago, turned on the tv news.  That lasted
about 3 minutes.  I feel sick.

-c