Thanks for all of the comments everyone.  I'm glad I took the time to
scan those older slides.  Unlike the print photo albums the slides
tend to get put in a box on a shelf and become out of site out of
mind.   The print albums get put on the same shelf, but they are
easier to open and view when the whim strikes.

Somewhere in the late 60's the family started taking snapshots with
prints instead of slides.  Those are fading and also need to be
scanned before they disappear.  A lot of them are in those plastic
album pages that were so popular back then.

That said, once this stuff is scanned it needs to be reproduced in
printed form and distributed to the family.  I fear the digital
versions are much like the slides.  Out of sight, out of mind and
easily lost.  Eventually, I hope that another much younger person in
the family emerges with the desire to be a custodian of these old
photos.

gs
George Sinos
www.GeorgesPhotos.net