There's a lot of converstation going on between your ears, John, that
didn't come out of my mouth. I shoot color. If I were disparaging
anyone I would have to include myself as one who needed to be
disparaged. But that's not what I'm doing. Occasionally I find an
image that I think would look better in B&W and I'm generally pleased
with the results and often prefer it to the color version.

My point was that Ansel Adam's B&W imagery made him an icon.  He chose
the same subject matter for his color work. Is there really anyone
among us who look at those color images of his and think they are head
and shoulders above anything you have seen elsewhere? Or that he would
have become an icon if he had only his color work to show?

There is a reason that the colorizing of black and white films bothers
people. A lot of people. It is because there is a different aesthetic
at work in black and white. Ansel himself refers to it as an
interpretation of reality (whereas color photography is mostly just
reality). Sometimes  reality is impressive enough - one reason that
cliches like sunrises/sunsets are so enjoyable to us. Few would claim
that a sunset in black & white is going to have more impact than the
color version.

It has nothing to do with being inferior. Take any of those color
images of Ansel Adams and convert it to B&W (applying Adam's Zone
System for best dynamic range) and ask 100 people which image has more
gravitas and I guarantee you that the majority of those who understand
the meaning of the word will choose the B&W. That's all I'm saying,
and you are free to disagree or to get any degree of frostburn they
would like by extrapolating from my comments, rather than just taking
them at face value.