Applied Science Fiction makes ICE, GEM and ROC for all Nikon Scanners
and some others too I think now.

They are a serious company, funny name or not.

I think the technology will be there.  The question is whether anyone
buys it and how soon.  I think when Governments start to crack down on
chemicals, it may start to look more interesting.