On Sun, Apr 28, 2013, kwal...@peoplepc.com wrote:

> Dan, when faced with harsh light like that, and something you really
> want to shoot, I'd suggest using something to diffuse the light. I
> have some circular cloth diffusers, not very expensive, that can be
> propped or hand held that will greatly soften the light. But you
> could use almost any piece of white cloth, just as long as it can
> shield your subject from direct sun rays.

My experience is that sometimes you really do want the direct light to
get maximum detail (particularly some of the subtle textures that show
micro-shadows).  In Dan's photo, notice the way the fuzz stands out on
the back petal.  Always trading off different effects...

Mostly I've been cheating (and in a hurry) when I want to block direct
light and just moving my body to put the object in shadow.  I did
yesterday use a portable reflector for the first time to block out the
background, made a huge difference.  (Yeah, yeah, I'm completely behind
on processing/posting shots.)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/