From: "P.J. Alling"
I've tried to get an answer about this on a number of fora but so far
nothing helpful has come my way.  I finally upgraded my desktop to
WinXP.  I was getting tired of having to Hack Win2K to get new software
and hardware to work properly so when I had my last primary hard drive
failure I decided to join the first decade of the 21st century, but I've
run into a problem.  Most every time I attempt to search my system for a
file the OS locks up.  I have an insane amount of storage for this box,
5TB in internal and external drives but then I had an insane amount of
storage on the Win2K installantion as well, and that didn't hang up on a
search.  So I'm at a loss.  I've tested all the drives and they check
out fine, I've run all the Windows, and a number of three party tests on
the file structure of each drive and they all check out.  I'm not sure
where to look at this point.  I know there are computer geeks on the
list who know more than I do about hardware problems than I do, and
probably a number who have dealt with OS problems that I've never seen.
I hope one of you has a clue, I certainly don't.

Install new memory.

Vacuum out the inside of the case and get all the dust bunnies off the mother-board, especially out of the heat sink for the CPU.

Don't use the "feature" that allows Windoze to search all of the drives; make it search each individual drive one at at time. I know that's inconvenient, but not so much as having the OS lock up every time you search.

If any of the drives are still formatted FAT or FAT32, see if you can run the conversion to make them NTFS, which is a bitch if you have drives you're trying to share with a Mac.

A better solution if you DO have to share drives with a Mac is to have the drive formatted for the Mac file system & use a program like MacDrive if/when you need to access it from Windoze.