On 5/2/2013 4:08 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
Stan Halpin wrote:

Interesting. The breathless hysteria of the blog was a bit off-putting
That's an understatement. This law applies to "orphan works", works
whose creator cannot be found. Removing metadata is unethical for
online providers and stupid for photographers but it's hardly the only
way to find the creator of a work. In most cases it will only take
about a minute of searching on tineye.com or similar site to shoot
down most claims of "I couldn't find him".

That said, my policies are:

* Don't ever upload (or link to - read your TOS!) anything larger than
a thumbnail to any free hosting/sharing site.

* Don't put any photo online that isn't labeled with proper metadata
and a visible watermark.

* Don't bitch about how people should respect your copyright unless
*you* respect your copyright enough to *register* it with the
appropriate agency (in the U.S. it's www.copyright.gov)
The process of registering copyrights for photos is an abominably antiquated pain in the ass. If there are any agencies in the US federal government that needs reform -- and there are plenty -- the Copyright office is one of them.

I mean, how the hell does one register a copyright on all their images in an era when people take hundreds at a time?

Mark, when you're done writing your book and finished with the annual, I think you should craft copyright reform legislation -- because you'll be needing something to do, and I don't know how.

-- Walt