Answers are provided interspersed with your statements.
See below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: AAAgghhhhhh

> Hi, Len,
>
> Legally, of course, you're right.  The guy can withdraw the
item any
> time he pleases, even with 15 seconds left in the auction.  No
harm, no
> foul.  No one's out any $$, so no injury.

Yes, it is legal.  Ebay's rules for sellers states that "Item is
no longer for sale" is a valid reason for closing the auction.

> However:
>
> What would this seller say, I wonder, if the shoe was on the
other
> foot?  What if I had the highest bid, and then said, "I change
my mind.
> No one's been injured here, just re-list the item and away you
go."  You
> can bet I'd get a nasty feedback, and he'd likely try to get
me banished
> (so I could log on with a different user name, and start all
over
> again).

You have the right to do that too.  I don't think he would give
it a second thought.  He could go to the next highest bidder and
offer it to him or he could use your withdrawal of bid as a
reason to cancel the auction, whichever was more advantageous to
him.  He has a lot of transactions in his history, I don't think
he'd get all that excited about it.
He couldn't leave you nasty feedback for an incompleted
transaction, unless you didn't notify him and ebay of your
withdrawal and the auction closed with you as the winner, and
you didn't pay up.

> As has already been mentioned, if this guy has over 900
feedbacks, he
> knows the score.  He could have put a reserve on the auction
if he
> wanted to avoid a loss.

Reserves tend to inhibit bidding in many cases.  If you know the
rules, you don't have to put a reserve on an item, you just have
to follow your auction carefully as it comes to closing time.

> Let's face it, losses sometimes happen in this game.  Just as
sometimes
> sellers get way more than an item's worth when you get two or
more idiot
> bidders in a bidding frenzy;  you should be prepared to take
to bad with
> the good.

When you are the seller, there is no reason to take the bad.  If
you do, it's your loss.  He decided not to take the loss.

> This guy may be playing within the rules - technically.  But,
he's
> certainly not playing by the "spirit of the rules".  In my
opinion, he's
> a slimy jerk for doing what he did.

Well, everywhere else in life, playing by the rules seems to be
quite enough.  There is no chapter in ebay's rules entitled "The
spirit of the rules", or "The real rules you should use instead
of the official rules".  I don't think he's going to lose as
much sleep over your opinion of him as you are going to lose
over it.

Len
---