Dave, you can go straight to Mountain Lion (10.8), bypassing Lion. You
buy it through the App Store application, it downloads (took about 8
hours over my DSL line), and you install from the downloaded
application.

You likely won't notice any appreciable changes speed-wise from Snow
Leopard, at least I didn't If anything I thought some things sped up a
bit, and it appears to be a little lighter on RAM use. It also enabled
downloading a few updates for iLife apps that weren't available under
Snow Leopard.

There are a couple of UI changes that you can adjust to your taste in
the Preferences.

$19.95 is a pretty cheap upgrade. I went with it so I'd be ready for LR5.

--
-bmw