Correct about the recession, indeed you can search
Nikon and the other companies (I already did nikon
before it asks me to registed, and that company is in
profit and dashing out dividends.
It is also true that Nikon's size and diversity as
Canon and possibly Minolta is what could be
responsible for the profits (interesting to see how
Milnolta and Canon fare.)
All this also possibly points out to less $$ for
product RnD and hence a more conservative market
approach as well as a less dynamic one...who knows?