Nikon has a long and storied history of giving equipment, either out-right
or on "extended loan" to influential photogs/organizations in order to be
seen as the "equipment the pros use." That practice, along with
availability of loaners/repairs for those same organizations/photogs or at
high-profile events like the Olympics or the Super Bowl, form the basis of
their whole "marketing to pros" approach. When Canon wanted in on the
PJ/sportshooter market, they did the same thing.

They can then market to the Podunk Press by saying, "look what the big boys
use. You should too." And in ads, they can feature big names, and Joe
Snapshooter can see that the photog he loves uses Nikon/Canon, and
Nikon/Canon sell Joe a camera.

It's a valid approach and I admire it. It works. And the trickle down
effect is useful as well; If I'm a Canon shooter covering something that is
likely to draw other photographers, I can be pretty comfortable knowing
that I can probably hook up with another shooter there if anything should
go wrong with one of my pieces of equipment. That alone is reason enough
only to consider the Nikon/Canon offerings if I'm going to do that type of
photography.

But again, I'm not complaining about it. All I'm saying is that Pentax has
never shown any interest in gaining that market, so they don't do the dance.

What Pentax =does= do like the other companies, is feature an occasional
Name Pro who uses their equipment. Invariably, though, they are Name Pros
who use Pentax Medium Format equipment, which is what Pentax considers
"professional" equipment.

Doug