On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 03:08:55PM -0400, Bruce Walker wrote:
> Walt, this is where some understanding and experience with light pays
> off. Light coming from the same direction as your lens shows no
> surface shadows. Angled or oblique light shows increasing amount of
> surface detail. Light coming from 90 degrees to your lens will reveal
> a lot of surface detail by casting lots of shadow. Worst of all (for
> skin) is hard light -- a point source like the sun -- coming from
> right angles.

A classic example of this is your picture of David and Glenn.
Note how the hard side lighting brings out every feature of their skin.

This is why I hate to say something is good or bad for photography,
I much prefer to say things like side lighting will show every detail
in the skin, something most women dislike.  Or, a 77mm lens will show less
of the background than a 50mm lens, so that you need to shoot from
further back.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com  http://red4est.com/lrc