Are you absolutely certain that the original image files are gone?
Where on your system are/were the imported image files saved to: the
Mac internal drive or one of the external drives?

If you somehow altered the pathname to where Lr expects to find your
imported originals, you get the ?? thing, as I expect you know.

As for avoiding loss, besides the internal drive, Time Machine can be
told to backup other attached drives and that's how I use it. I have a
1 TB Time Machine drive backing up an attached 2 TB drive plus the 250
GB internal drive and it's keeping stuff way back to last November.

--
-bmw