I wish them more luck than in Brisbane.  We've had a scheme running here for
the last few years
which is massively under-used, about 10-15% of the bikes are actually used
daily.  The pick-up
stations take up several metres of valued parking space, often in areas of high
demand and also in
front of densely populated areas with limited off-street parking.  My suburb is
mainly of pre-war
construction, many are small houses with no garages, and consequently on-street
parking is very
highly contested.  The fact we're also less than 20 minutes' walk from the CBD
means we have a lot
of commuter parking to contend with, so there was a valid groundswell of
objections to losing yet
more of our limited parking facilities.  Bad luck, the whole scheme went ahead
anyway!  Of course,
no-one is making any money out of it, despite a significant city council
subsidy.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia