On May 27, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Paul Sorenson wrote:

> For my first 10 years we lived about half a block from the railroad tracks
> and depot.  Boy, does that bring back memories from some 60 years ago.  The
> chuffing as it gets louder when the train approaches...and the lonesome
> sounding whistle as I lay in my bed late at night.

For a while my grandparents had a little grocery, the front porch of which was
not more than 25 yards from the track. I used to go stand on it while a freight
train went through at top speed. There was a lot more than "chuffing" to that
experience. The ground shook under my feet.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
than it is for other people."

- Thomas Mann